Saturday, November 19, 2011

Its official, we are now Kansas residents...

It tried about a week ago to write a blog entry about our one year anniversary in Kansas.  The 12th of November marked our year here officially.  The laptop doesn't like me very much, I am horrible at typing.  I always hit a series of buttons that highlights, then deletes my pages and pages of rants.  I gave it a go three times on the damn laptop and finally dropped it and walked away.
Which is Fate's way of saying that the direction I was trying to go with that wasn't the way the blog entry needed to go.  I see that now.  AFTER a whole day of pulling my hair out.  So, now I write on my good 'ol trusty PC.  She never fails me and is very forgiving.  I love her.
When we arrived here, a  year ago, we came with very little.  Not that we have much to our names any way.  We sort of like living Life like that.  Just enough by way of comforts, but not so many that it feels glutinous.  Anyway, the very first thing we learned about living in Kansas was that most rentals here don't come with appliances.  So we quickly scooped up a refrigerator for a very great price, yes it was used, no we are not picky about used items.  We told ourselves that little by little we would get our appliances together.  Once we saved up the cash, Hubby let me get a washer and dryer brand new.  I love him.  Have I said that yet?  I don't know how anyone lives with out a washer and dryer of their own. Add to the mix that my husband works on the dirt crew at the landfill and you will see the picture of why I'm appreciative of washer and dryer.
We decided that we would forgo a stove/range (whatever you want to call it!)  until the new year.  Keep in mind Yule and Christmas were right around the corner.  We got electric skillets and bought a wonderful toaster oven, a wonderful slow cooker and a rice cooker(I'm half Asian, its a MUST).  I was positive I could make this work, that it wouldn't make one bit of difference on our festivities.  Hubby was a bit leery, but if I wanted to try, he was game to let me.
Guess what?? Yule, Christmas, and New Year's were AMAZING!!  It never really dawned on us that there was anything missing in the kitchen.  We baked cookies, eclairs, brownies, warmed ready made apple and peach pies.  We did tater tots, french fires, mozzarella sticks, BBQ chicken wings.  All in our little toaster oven.
It never affected our Shrimp boil for Noche Buena, Rib eyes for Christmas, Pot Roast(slow cooker) for Yule, New York strips for New Year's.  So, we just kept on going.   With out a stove.  For a whole year.
Yup, you read that right.  We lived with out a stove for a whole entire YEAR!  Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for one.  Looking forward to having it.  Trav bought me a brand spanking new one that will be here on Monday.  Its beautiful, I know I will love her.  There will be many wonderful feast cooked by her.
I have to say that I'm rather proud of this little family and the challenge we put ourselves through.  There is so much that we have learned in the past year.  About ourselves, about Kansas, about California, about Gratitude.
I look forward to cooking all the great things that our Mothers, Grandmothers, and Ms Delene have taken the time to show me or send me the recipes for.
One of my very first blog entries from Kansas, I wrote about being so disappointed with myself because I missed my can opener.  That I thought I could live with out material things, when in reality I was very dependant....on a can opener.
I do believe that this is Redemption.  Sweet redemption.
Happy 1 year Anniversay in Kansas My Little Family!

2 comments:

  1. I love, Love your outlook on your life - I need to take something from that for my own. I tend to look at my life as "half empty" attitude instead of "half full". But when speaking with others, I always speak positively about them. So why do I not look at my life as I do my friends? I love that you challenged yourselves. I lived with out a stove and sink for 3 weeks and thought the end of the world was coming. But like you, I made do with a toaster oven and microwave. I may just need a pinch of "Norms" daily to help me with my outlook! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living Life in Gratitude is a way to go. Even on the days that are not-so-good, if we can see just one thing that we are grateful for, it makes going to sleep and living that day worth it.
    You are an amazing gal Cindy, you can do this. It will improve every aspect of your Life.
    I believe in you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, be nice. I would if I commented on your blog!! KTHANKSBYE. :)