Monday, March 26, 2012

March for Babies, this year we honor Abigail and Emily

  For those who are new to this blog, are finding it for the first time, or  would like to be reminded.  I am a mother of a child that was born at 39 weeks who was only 4lbs and 15oz.  She was at term, but we dealt with Pre-eclampsia from 7 months on.  I wish I could say that our labor was smooth, but it was not.  We ran into one complication after an other.  Amino-fusion, infection(for both of us), fever, rise in my blood pressure, drop in her little heart rate, labor on my back for 27 hours, an epidural that confused my little one even more.  She was so tired and confused by my last push, that there was no cry.  In fact she was born not breathing and her little heart was not pumping.  It was the longest 45 seconds of my entire life.  Thank the Goddess for knowledgeable, well trained, helpful staff.  My OB and Peds doctor on call and the nursing staff at Mercy San Juan, had the room ready for anything and everything they needed to do to get Naenah on track.  They zapped her little heart once and she cried to most glorious scream I have ever heard.
  The nursing staff readied Trav and I mentally for complications.  They told us that she was tiny, that we would have to do several extra little things to keep her thriving.  We trusted everything they said and taught us.  After her first hour in NICU, the infant nurse on call came to my room.  She walked right to me and gave me the truthful run down of my baby's health.   Aside from being small in every sense of the word, her blood sugar was a little off, but other than that, the Peds Doctor gave her a clean bill of health.  She reminded me that she was still a very tiny baby and that they would keep teaching us stuff that they looked for in Preemie babies.
  The next morning Naenah's Peds doctor paid us a visit.  I was anxious, ready for any and all instructions from him.  He was so good to us, he could tell we were nervous for our tiny Nae.  He was relaxed, calm.  He told us that she her blood sugar was low, and even though we had planned to breastfeed, bottle feeding was going to have to happen as well.  Then he would take her blood sugar again in the AM and see where she stood.  "Other than that, she's just small.  Do not treat any different.  She is healthy and everything is working."  I could hear myself exhale. He patted me on back, and said he'd be by check on her the next day.
  I was beside myself.  So, so humbled and thankful that our little girl was healthy, even though her start was so rough.  Four days, I couldn't sleep.  I couldn't take my eyes off that miracle of a baby.  The Nursery staff nicknamed her Peanut, and fought over who got to come and get her from me for vitals checks.  It wasn't just my heart she had stolen, only four days old.
  Every year of Naenah's life we have walked in the March for Babies. We were not helped directly by March of Dimes, but we know extensively what they do to help babies.  We were empowered by our support staff at Mercy San Juan.  And if we can help an organization do that for other families, its the least we can do.
  Just two short days ago, a young family very dear to us had their twins, Abigail and Emily, pre-term.  The girls, Ada and Ama were surrounded by Love and Family.  18 weeks early,  the girls went on to the Summerlands after just a few short hours of Life.
  This year our walk in March for Babies is dedicated not only to our Naenah, who is thriving , but to Abigail and Emily. 
http://www.marchforbabies.org/nylawre   Help us help babies thrive!!!  Donate if you can, re post my donation page if you can.  Anything helps!!  Everything is appreciated.
Help us honor Abigail and Emily Harris-Hodnet-Juarez.
Thank you for your time.
Wishing you Love, Light and Bright Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, be nice. I would if I commented on your blog!! KTHANKSBYE. :)