Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thankful Thursday...

So here we are again, its Thursday!!!  I thought about what my post should be about last night and couldn't come up with anything solid to write.  I slept on it, pulled open my notebook this morning and it came to me clear as day.  The weather.
The funniest part about telling people we were moving to Kansas, was to watch their reaction and recall the weather they hear about here.  TORNADOES!!!  " Are you guys nuts??!!!  How could you move there and put yourselves in harms way?!  There is no way I would do that to my family. "  It gets a little meaner from those I think were just a bit more jealous about us actually having an opportunity.
We have had a chance, in the last few days, to experience Thunderstorms and weather cells here.  The view is spectacular!!!  Here in Kansas, with beautiful Storms always looms the threat of our gurl Twista. How you get ready without panic? How do you have resolve, that if indeed it happens, it just happens?
How do any of us get through day to day??  You  just do.  Shelter is put together ready to go, emergency boxes are packed in the shelter.  This is not any worse than living through an earthquake. Which I have lived through quite a few in Cali and the Philippines (we were in the PI at the on set of the Pinatubo eruption)  I have lived on naval airbases in Asia Pacific, EVAC drills in the middle of the night, Wargame drills for 72 hours straight.  The sirens in the middle of the night for tornado's will be no different that than any of that.
Hubby grew up in Colorado, he is used to the warnings.  He knows the drill.  However, Nae has been a bit anxious.  She has watched me put the shelter together in the basement, pack up emergency things and take them down.  I try to do it "matter of fact-ly" with no panic so that she's not worried.  I assure her its just in case.  The more non worried we stay about it, the more part of our lives it becomes to her.
However, I did notice she has her E bags packed behind her door full of her favorite toys.  I could say No, put them back.  Yet, its not hurting anyone to be prepared.  If it eases Naenah then, its good with me.
Mother Nature, the lessons in Preparedness.  Something we can all learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, be nice. I would if I commented on your blog!! KTHANKSBYE. :)